Directions from Johannesburg to Steynshoop
GPS co-ordinates: S25 50.746 E27 34.850
1. Go to Hendrik Ptogieter Road, R47, in Florida, heading north.
(to get to it, off the N1 Western Bypass, take the Gordon Road off-ramp
- if heading south on the N1, turn right at the first traffic lights, go straight through the second set of traffic lights and turn right into Hendrik Potgieter at the third set of traffic lights;
- if heading north on the N1, turn left at the first set of traffic lights and right into Hendrik Potgieter at the second set of traffic lights).
3. Proceed straight across this intersection (the road becomes the N14, at this point).
4. Proceed for about 20 kms until you go down a steep hill and come to a major T-junction.
Turn right - this will take you onto onto the R563, sign-posted to Hekpoort.
5. Continue straight, on the R563 (do not take the left turn off it, continuing as the N14, towards Ventersdorp/Magaliebburg, about 500 metres after the T-junction). Go straight, for Hekpoort.
6. Proceed on the R563 for about 20 kms, until you descend into the Magaliesberg valley. Finally, in the middle of the valley, you will come to a T-junction. You are at Hekpoort.
7. Continue on the tarred road for about 800 metres, to a brown sign saying Steynshoop. Turn left onto the dirt road, just after that.
8. After about 2 kms, this dirt road goes over a bridge (over the Magalies River). About 200m after the bridge, up a hill, there is a turning to the left, signposted to Steynshoop, Kashan, etc.Take this road.
9. Continue on this road for about 5 kms. There are one or two forks off the road but always keep to the right, until you come to a fork where you enter a bluegum forest and there is a sign to Steynshoop. Follow that sign, directing you to the left-hand fork.
10. After about 600 metres there is a sign to both Steynshoop Valley Lodge and to Steynshoop Mountain Lodge, directing to their entrance gates
11. For Steynshoop Mountain Lodge, continue past this sign until you come to its main gate, after about 300 metres.